Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Look, Listen, and Think!




One of the reasons I'm a little wishy-washy about same-sex marriage is because of the affects it could have on the children, also probably because of how I've been taught to think about gays and lesbians [at home and in church]. Here are some points I've found that have helped me to continue my train of thought for this big social dilemma we have going on today.

In the United States District Court Transcripts for the Prop 8 Ruling it was stated:

"The factors that affect whether a child is well-adjusted are:  (1) the quality of a child’s relationship with his or her parents; (2) the quality of the relationship between a child’s parents or significant adults in the child’s life; and (3) the availability of economic and social resources. The gender of a child’s parent is not a factor in a child’s adjustment.  The sexual orientation of an individual does not determine whether that individual can be a good parent. Children raised by gay or lesbian parents are as likely as children raised by heterosexual parents to be healthy, successful and well-adjusted. " (page 97) (The research supporting this conclusion is accepted beyond serious debate in the field of developmental psychology by the American Psychological Association.)


"Religious beliefs promote the idea that gay and lesbian relationships are sinful or inferior to heterosexual relationships harm gays and lesbians."


"Religion is the chief obstacle for gay and lesbian political progress, and it’s the chief obstacle for a couple of reasons. It’s difficult to think of a more powerful social entity in American society than the church. It’s a very powerful organization, and in large measure they are arrayed against the interests of gays and lesbians. Biblical condemnation of homosexuality and the teaching that gays are morally inferior on a regular basis to a huge percentage of the public makes the political opportunity structure very hostile to gay interests. It’s very difficult to overcome that." (page 103)

I feel like it's a bit disheartening to know that literally EVERYWHERE we (the little Christs) are seen as hateful and conservative people. We don't like the gays and we don't like the government helping out "those lazy sons of bitches". I wish we (the little Christs) would just do our job and start loving in copious amounts and stop being so stingy with our love. 


An estimated 65,500 adopted children are living with a lesbian or gay parent. (http://adoption.about.com/od/gaylesbian/f/gayparents.htm) (I'm hoping this is a credible source..)

I thought this was interesting:

My roommate was talking with me about same-sex marriage and I stated my concern about the affects it would have on the adopted children. She told me that the foster care system was awful and people really do get screwed over in that system. She said some thing to this effect: wouldn't it be better to have the child have a family who loves and cares for them rather than for the child to have a hard life bouncing from family to family?

As for the paper I am currently writing for my Sociology class on the final Ruling of Prop 8, I still don't know how I feel about it. I am still thinking and open to any ideas or thoughts. Though I am proud to call myself a little Christ (a dedicated Christian), I am open to admitting I am dumb for something if you give me a legitimate reason for why I am so. I'm trying to learn here people. I'm trying to learn what I believe.