Monday, March 7, 2011

This was actually Saturday

Life today was fun! Instead of waking up and having nothing but homework awaiting me, I woke up with a bright excitement for what the day might hold. I pouched my first egg without any assistance. I used a plastic bag and immersed the egg into boiling water for about 4 minutes. Still leaky in the middle, the little pillow shaped egg fit perfectly on my half-slice of naked (w/o butter) whole wheat toast.

After breakfast I went grocery shopping at the Co-Op. The oranges, homegrown and organic, were probably the best oranges I've bought in my life. These oranges are the kind of oranges that change your option if you are an orange-hater, like I've been. These oranges could have surpassed a slab of chocolate in my opinion. After buying oranges, apples, carrots, lettuce, flour, dry active yeast, and tomatoes I unloaded my food in my little kitchen cabniet and headed through the rain to a forest hike with some new friends. The hike was about 2 hours through the rain and mud, but it was fun, I think, I think. I went back to my apartment, dried off and looked at food blogs while trying to sleep.

At 3:30 I met Aud at a coffee shop in Eureka. Aud and I went to an animal shelter to look at the dog she wants to adopt. After we saw her dog and all the other dogs barking and crying, Aud and I went grocery shopping for some ingredients I needed to make my beer bread, which I am making for our Fat Tuesday get-together next week.

Aud and I then went to her house where we changed shoes into rain boots so we could safely take out the trash, it was pouring outside. Aud and her crafty boyfriend live in a magical wonderland filled with green grassy fields, ponds, gazebos, a sauna, a little floating cottage that sits on top of the pond with a bed inside it, and on and on with the awesome details. It looks like a mini 'Notebook' film set is what it looks like. What a romantic walk, even to take out the trash. Walking back from the compost pile and garden you see the most beautiful, deep green, forest backdrop behind their house. I'm happy that someone can live in such a place, even if it's not me.

For dinner Aud cooked pumpkin soup, mashed cauliflower/potatoes, artichokes, and fillets. Aud told me the pumpkin was from a friend's garden. I asked questions as she makes the soup. How much of this, how much of that. Turns out Aud's pumpkin soup was all eye-balling. One pumpkin, some onions, some garlic, some salt, some pepper, some cream, some blending, and some spices. Her mashed cauliflower/potatoes were delicious! They were some of the most creamy,  and the most tasty mashed mixture of vegetables I've ever had. Bethany and Jason were over for dinner too, so it was the five of us. Jon made strawberry-ginger beverages, mine was virgin. Bethany made a killer chocolate cake.