Sunday, April 17, 2011

No Impact, Man.

Which woman is wiser?
A. A woman that invests her whole life savings in a house and dies a month later?
B. A woman that invests her whole life savings in a vacation and dies a month later?
C. A woman that invests her whole life savings in a charity and dies a month later?
 (question asked at Catalyst church tonight) Catalyst Church Website Link


"Every day, almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes. That's one child every five seconds." http://www.bread.org/hunger/global/

Am I unrealistic to think we should all choose answer C? 

Is charity the answer I'd say I'd choose so the person asking would think I'm a good person?


Why do I go out to coffee when there is two bags of local coffee beans in my freezer?
Why do I drive to church when I can walk to church in less than 15 minutes?
How do I have the nerve to flush 1.6 gallons of water every time I use the toilet when people are dying from the effects of thirst every day?
Why do I buy things that support unfair trade and unfair working conditions? 

If everyone on earth lived like I do, we would need 5.4 earths, according to the ecological footprint quiz. http://myfootprint.org/en/ I thought that was terrible. I'd like to think once I get out of college and am in control of my own money I'll spend hardly any of it, the few cents I spend I'd spend wisely and fairly and the rest will go towards helping the world out.


Have you ever seen the documentary No Impact Man? It's about how a man and his family attempted to live with no impact on the world. Looks very hard to do in a city but it was interesting to watch.

 Here's a site about it (on the site are ways we can have less impact on the world): http://noimpactproject.org/