Thursday, June 2, 2011

M I C

M e r e d i t h
I n i t i a t i v e
C h e e s e

It's Meredith Initiative Cheese because I am taking it upon myself to learn from square one all the cheeses for the company. I thought it would be hilarious to name my underground cheese company 'MIC' because in microbiology, MIC is actually the lowest concentration of antimicrobial that will inhibit the visible growth of a microorganism after overnight incubation. Cheese making is an art of manipulating the bacteria to grow a certain way with different contributing variables and controls such as heat, humidity, the starter, the rennet, and time. So it's sort of titling the 'art of incubating bacteria' with a name that essentially means the inhibition of incubating bacteria. I may be as cheesy as my product...

Things I've mastered so far: Yogurt, Cream Cheese

These are some of the cheeses I'm interested in: cheddar, brie, cantal, cottage cheese, feta, gouda, gruyere, havarti, jack cheese, mozzarella, munster, provolone, ricotta