Friday, September 14, 2012

In a coffee shop with an Orthopedic Surgeon

When I am in the environment of a warm, friendly, mom&pop coffee shop, I transform into another version of myself. A friendly and talkative person that can start a natural, unforced conversation with anyone and everyone I meet. Today, I was reading about Inoztiol and Rifampin (Anti-Tuberculosis drugs) in a coffee shop and a man sits in the next table arcoss from me so that basically we are facing each other with two chairs in between us. I heard his phone conversation, where he was giving advice on elevating, icing, and being careful of the healing process. He told the person to call back whenever they needed to or whenever they had questions. After he finished his phone conversation, I felt this thing (this coffee shop thing I get when I'm supposed to talk to someone in the coffee shop) and so I started a conversation.

Are you a doctor?

Yes, I am.

I'm in nursing school, I'm actually studying right now about Anti-TB drugs

Nursing is a really great profession.....You can go anywhere with nursing....La.....La....La.....


The conversation was surprisingly interesting to me. We talked about the complexity of the financial realm of the medical field and how treating a patient with resistant Tuberculosis does really end up costing $180,000. He started to break down all the costs, it was insane. He said, "It's insane." I'm not even joking. Out of the $180,000, doctors only get 8%. I'm not sure if you are aware, but treating Tuberculosis takes years. He went on and said that the medical industry is so big and influential in this country, that if the government decreased the funds by even just 2%, the stocks and share holders would loose money along with all the medical personnel. This would literally cause another depression because of how many people in the country would be effected by this 2% decrease of medical funding. He told me this was all surface level and that this topic was so complex. I nodded in agreement. He asked me what path of nursing I was interested in. I told him about the small orthopedic surgery experience I had in my Med Surg clinical last week, and how I really wanted more intense, adrenaline, bloody, life threatening surgeries. I told him that I wanted to go overseas and be apart of surgeries for people in different countries that needed surgeries done. He then told me he was an orthopedic surgeon, right after I basically said his surgeries were too small for me. Oh well. He didn't seem offended or anything, and why should he be? People's ankles need help too I guess. Anyways, I learned that for the stuff I want to do, to get involved in the actual surgery, I'd need to become a Physician Assistant, Anesthesiologist, or Nurse Practitioner.

Now no one will ever marry me and I'll never finish school....awesome.